Whether you like the web or not (I don't), it's very powerful and helpful at the same time. Web sites pop out out of thin air, doing all kinds of things. Watching videos, listening to music, browsing information. Browsing is related with the discovery of information, how quickly you find your information, how accurate it is and so forth and so on.
Since the announcement of the App Store from Apple, discovery of software was kind of static and slowly moving. After that and with the emergence of the web services were created that allowed to find more information about new "programs" ("applications or "apps" if you prefer). Services like that indirectly promote your application. This removes the burden of marketing or promoting your software. That doesn't mean you don't need to promote it, you definitely need, but they help a lot for free. I decided to search the web pages that provide this kind of functionality to the public, by simply searching the name of my applications. I didn't used Google, but instead I used DuckDuckGo.com. Every search yielded a lot of different web pages, and I would like to mention some of them for the other developers out there.
- iFlashlight Pro at AppShopper.com
- iFlashlight Pro at Soft-Go.com
- iFlashlight Pro at Soft-Files.com
- iFlashlight Pro at iGamerz.com (I have no idea, how it appeared here...)
- iFlashlight Pro at appcrawlr.com
- GPS Locator at AppShopper.com
- GPS Locator at freeforiphone.com
- GPS Locator at downloadcheapapp.com
- GPS Locator at appannie.com
- GPS Locator at monappstore.com
- Compus at iOSnoops.com
- Compus at apppicker.com
- atHeraklion at downloadcheapapp.com
- atHeraklion at apps.su
- atHeraklion at AppShopper.com
- atHeraklion at 148apps.com
You can see that there are a lot of different domains that reference my iOS applications, and I haven't done anything at all. This is a lot of free e-Marketing, maybe it's not the best, but it's something. The marketing quality is not the best and you can not measure anything directly since you don't have access to their service and their analytics. However, you can see if people reference you on other web pages or if they comment your application on this third party services.
A little advice for the developer out there, study a little bit about marketing!